Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A/C Issue

Default A/C Issue

Having an issue with my A/C the drip pan overflowed and leaked out a vent and along a seam of some sheetrock in the ceiling. Noticed it real quick ran up stairs to attic pan full. I stopped the A/C and checked the overflow drain I guess it's stopped up... Whats the fix here? I can't get an air hose because the unit sits almost on top of the drain / PVC pipe that runs to my sink drain.
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Get a ball valve and add a piece of tubing to it then add an air chuck to the oher side. Snake it under the unit. You can also cut the pvc and add a tee with a long radius.They make them so you can clean the line out. Any good a/c guy would have installed one when they installed it.
    Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Well heres the damage... Been a fun night.

2nd photo is 3rd floor below the attic in the master. Water has dripped down the wall to the 2nd floor. 2nd floor ceiling pictured.

I am baffled how the main drain and backup are both clogged? I can only assume that seeing as I have water stains and all these issues all of the sudden. I turned the AC down to 71 from 6-10 pm problem happened during that time. I've since removed a lot of the water from the pan under the A/C.

Bottom with Pan and line going out...

cut that pvc right there above the wood, blow it out and glue a cleanout fitting in place. every once in a while send some bleach down there. that drain line gets slimy gunk built up in it over time. If you can get to where it drains (mine drains outside) -- hook a shop vac up to it and suck that gunk out of there.
    Appearing soon in a channel near YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by Ibtsoom View Post
    cut that pvc right there above the wood, blow it out and glue a cleanout fitting in place. every once in a while send some bleach down there. that drain line gets slimy gunk built up in it over time. If you can get to where it drains (mine drains outside) -- hook a shop vac up to it and suck that gunk out of there.
    The hole right where it comes out of ac will clog to had to un screw mine where cunnecks.agree with bleach

Also add a float switch in the pan to kill ac if it gets full save you many $$$
    May your rod never go limp

I always use my shop vac to remove the water and algae. Just put the nozzle on the end of the drain line and wrap it with foam or a t-shirt and it will take care of both problems. Pick up some chlorine tabs and toss some into both pans to keep the algae from building up. A float switch will save you from repairs next time.
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

It should have had a float switch........ It never was activated apparently or it's not adjusted to the proper height.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I always use my shop vac to remove the water and algae. Just put the nozzle on the end of the drain line and wrap it with foam or a t-shirt and it will take care of both problems. Pick up some chlorine tabs and toss some into both pans to keep the algae from building up. A float switch will save you from repairs next time.

x2, I always pour some bleach through both lines at the beginning of the season.
    At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, I pity the fish downstream. - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast