Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flounder Boat Tips

Default Flounder Boat Tips

I've been looking for a flounder boat for awhile. Yesterday I finally found one that wouldn't break the bank.lol

It needs some work, but runs and operates as-is. We took it out on the water and both motors operate great. The fan moved us along faster than I expected.

Check out the pics.

I'm hoping some of you guys can give me some good tips on where to go my first time. I'm familiar with most of the bay system.

Thanks!

IMAG0312.jpgIMAG0313.jpgIMAG0311.jpgIMAG0310.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Marx View Post
    Nice rig you got there Fish . I can't tell you where to go , but take 10mm socket and take the pull rope assembly off that honda . The spring needs some oil to avoid problems in the field . It should suck that rope all the way in .
    There seems to be too much rope. The recoil works, but the spool is full. Thanks

How many amps does the alternator kick out when the fan/motor is at idle? What is that RPM? I'd personally call Boatright and ask to speak to James (TXSHOCKWAVE here on FWE) he builds these boats on a daily basis and has rigged out tons of flounder boats. Heck he even did my setup. He should be able to point out what you need to be looking for & wary of.
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

I'm worried about it.
    It looks to be a narrow hull.
    I built a fan boat out of a brand new narrow hull john boat once. It hardly had any free-board at the transom.
    It was so disturbing I decided to pull the outboard and try again but then with out the out board it flipped at the boat launch because it became top heavy with out the out board that acted like a stabilizing keel.
    Take it out again and pay close attention to how much free board it has at the transom. Also get the boat up to speed and then come to a sudden decelerating stop and watch how close the water rush up to the back of the transom and finally. take the boat to a sand bar and measure the depth at which begins to hit the bottom. More than 6 inches is too much. Every inch might as well be a mile when it comes to gigging from a boat and following a shore line that is constantly changing with it's depth and turns.
    If you ever get the sensation it is top heavy or any of the previous points then pass on it.
    I hope it works out because gigging from a boat can be fun.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
    Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Sometime, err, a lot of times fan boats can be too fast to gig from but you can drag weights to slow you down from a jog to a slow walking pace.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
    Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Easy fix for the rope. Pull it out 12-14". Clamp it. Cut off 2 or 3 inches more than whats hanging now and re-tie knot. Do some daytime scouting with a GPS in the areas you are familiar with. Look for areas that gradually drop off from the grass. The places where it is 1' at the grass it has to perfect clear conditions to see. Looks like fluorescent lights on the front. Not sure how much light penetration your gonna have. Pic your nights right with wind and tides. It looks easy sometimes by the reports. Get you a good spotlight as well. Good Luck!! If you are fmailiar with the pass area you may try that first.

Have fun! The bay is your's for exploration!
    West Bay Sensai...

Quote Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
    I'm worried about it.
    It looks to be a narrow hull.
    I built a fan boat out of a brand new narrow hull john boat once. It hardly had any free-board at the transom.
    It was so disturbing I decided to pull the outboard and try again but then with out the out board it flipped at the boat launch because it became top heavy with out the out board that acted like a stabilizing keel.
    Take it out again and pay close attention to how much free board it has at the transom. Also get the boat up to speed and then come to a sudden decelerating stop and watch how close the water rush up to the back of the transom and finally. take the boat to a sand bar and measure the depth at which begins to hit the bottom. More than 6 inches is too much. Every inch might as well be a mile when it comes to gigging from a boat and following a shore line that is constantly changing with it's depth and turns.
    If you ever get the sensation it is top heavy or any of the previous points then pass on it.
    I hope it works out because gigging from a boat can be fun.
    Thanks for your concern, but I understand simple physics. This boat is neither narrow nor short on free-board. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fishinganimal View Post
    Easy fix for the rope. Pull it out 12-14". Clamp it. Cut off 2 or 3 inches more than whats hanging now and re-tie knot. Do some daytime scouting with a GPS in the areas you are familiar with. Look for areas that gradually drop off from the grass. The places where it is 1' at the grass it has to perfect clear conditions to see. Looks like fluorescent lights on the front. Not sure how much light penetration your gonna have. Pic your nights right with wind and tides. It looks easy sometimes by the reports. Get you a good spotlight as well. Good Luck!! If you are fmailiar with the pass area you may try that first.
    Thanks for the advice. Yes, those are green fluorescent lights. The previous owner was a bow fisherman and used them for surface veiwing rather than penetration. I am in the process of removing them and replacing with spot lights.

Jones lake, Diversanary, up and down the grass flats .... not sure if thats spelled correctly
    FPIII

Salt Water Fishn Is My Heritage

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast