west bay tide question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• west bay tide question

i couldn't find the thread that discussed this awhile back so i'll ask again. how many hours do you add for tides in the galveston channel to get west bay tides? here's the tricky question. where in the bay does the san luis pass start to trump the galveston channel on tidal movement? if i'm around say maggie's cove area should i look at the san luis pass setting or a galveston bay setting? i have a jamaica beach location on my gps, is that pretty accurate? areas of interest are confederate, jones lake, greens lake, and the south shoreline coves.
    i think i remember it being 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
    thanks,
    michelle

That sounds about rite jamaicas closer to the one you need.
    MANVEL MOB

Comment

Michelle, I have San Luis Pass, Alligator point and Jamacia Beach on my phone and I believe you are right. 2 hours should be close. Chip should be able to answer your question as well.
      LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

For Jones/Confederate/Greens I add 30-45 min to Jamaica Beach and it is really close
        sigpic
        Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

A smart investment for $25 a year, $20 to renew, is DRDAN'S tide chart program for a whole year you download after purchasing. Already has SLP, alligator point, jamaica beach, texas city turning basin, galveston ship channel at intracoastal, south jetty, christmas point, eagle point, gilchrist, morgan's point... and more in galveston and along the coast. You can go to jamaica beach and adjust the tide reading by adding an hour or two ,etc to see the tides more east or west from there depending on distance. It has instructions on how to use , daylight savings time ,current strengh, feeding periods ( although texas saltwater fisherman's the best ) , sunrise and set and more. I ALWAYS check it planning a trip . I don't think you will be disappointed. I love it...great tool.
          GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Hey Michelle:

All the tide chart services list Galveston Channel, Jamaica and San Luis. You ought to be able to take those three tide predictions (keeping in mind that Jamaica is about 3/5's of the way SW towards San Luis from Galveston Channel) and come up with a pretty close estimation based on a particular cove's proximity to those 3 known locations.
            Last edited by shutout; December 27, 2009, 10:06 AM.

Comment

HERE IT IS..... http://docdan.com
              GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Michelle, what you see on your GPS is going to be very close. Keep in mind that the only thing that you will get, anywhere is a PREDICTION. I would recomend your GPS, and the tide and CURRENT tables in Gulf Coast Fisherman magazine. The Current tables are much more useful than the tide forecasts. The two components of tide that matter are when will it move horizontally? And at what height will it be at the location that you intend to fish. Over time you will learn what level you like at a certain spot and time your visits based on tide height and timing of the water movement. Again, all are predictions, but these are much more usefull and free.

The best realtime data you can find is the "tidesonline" link that I posted previously. you can look at a prediction overlayed with the up to the minute actual readings around the bay.
                http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Copied from our "Important Links" Column found on our home page (www.fishwestend.com)

We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Michelle, this is what I usually use. As the "Swallowist" said, its only a prediction, wind does play a major part. http://66.135.8.10/tideserver/index.asp

Comment

As Michelle pointed out to me, it's the Shallowist, not the Swallowist. Sorry about that Steve.

Comment

The what?????? hahahaha

sounds like something michelle would say.

Comment

This NOAA chart is good & free. It should update on the first.
                          "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Working...
                          X