Lady fish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady fish?

I am going to go catch and tag some shark in the surf this week. Has anyone used lady fish for shark?
    Son of the Republic

Originally posted by D-I-A View Post
    I am going to go catch and tag some shark in the surf this week. Has anyone used lady fish for shark?
    They work well catch some small ones hook em live and catch gator trout!!
    MANVEL MOB

Comment

I've never done that intentionally, but many times I've hooked ladies, only to have a shark take off with them.

Today's double entendre brought to you by . . . . . well, Me.
      From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Originally posted by dbarham View Post
        They work well catch some small ones hook em live and catch gator trout!!
        Interesting, every time I hook one they always end up dying. I thought I had a tarpon one evening when I hooked into a 3 1/2# lady fish. It stripped line as it hit my lure and came flying out of the water shortly after a good ways away. As I got it closer it was clear that it was not a juvenile tarpon. They are a fun fish as far as acrobatics but they are annoying when fishing with live bait.
        Son of the Republic

Comment

Lady fish (skipjack) is great for shark bait, if they are fresh. Never try and use frozen, as they are complete mush when they thaw. If you end up with a lot of them, stuff a pair of pantyhose with chopped up skipjack and tie off into a softball sized bait. Run your circle hook tru & zip tie in place, making sure the gap remains exposed. Fish on!

Shawn

Comment

The "Poor Man's Tarpon" are great bait for big trout, reds and of course shark as well as snapper (chunk baits). They are exciting to catch and slime ya just like a Tarpon does.

have fun and good luck.
            "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Ladyfish are about the best bait that I know of for shark. They put out a lot of oil, and are filled with very fine bones that make them stay on a hook very well. On Anegada, if I am going to fish for shark, I start out by making a run to a spot that I call "the bait shop", where ladyfish are plentiful. I catch all I need on a fly that I tie specifically for them.

One of the worst things that I ever did was take a big bite off of a ladyfish. Alcohol was involved. I spit for days.
              Walker

Anegada, BVI (N18° 44.683' W64° 24.133')
              and
              Houston (Clear Lake City)

Comment

I should image that ladyfish would work, although you need to know how to to them up with big hooks, since 14/0 to 20/0 hooks for a typical 5-7 foot shark in Texas are needed. You can look here for more info about shark fishing off the beach from a pro:

http://www.tx-sharkfishing.com/

Myself, I like to sew my hooks onto my baits such as with fishing twine and using a fish needle. Whatever you do, make sure the gape of the hook rides upward and runs front to back. For a ladyfish I'd sew on a hook just above the backbone in its shoulders right behind the head. Some double-rig hooks in case your shark is a short hitter.

I learned that method when kite-fishing for sailfish using live threadfin herring a bit bigger than hand size. Double the line through the eye of the fish needle, pull it through the fish, and tie down on the gape of the hook so it rides high & tight. A square knot will do. You can take a couple wraps around the hook if you're worried about losing your bait, although we never did - and we used rubber bands instead of dental floss or twine. After you've done more than three baits, only takes a minute.

I've seen people light-line those skinny little Caribbean reef sharks before (just kidding Walker) but with a nice fat sandbar or bull shark of 6 feet ... you're going to need at least a big Penn Senator with a fighting belt to do the trick. And a crew to tail rope it so you can unhook it and let it go. Hope ya catch a big Tiger!

Comment

lol....deaver is a bipolar nutcase. I would never refer anyone to his site.

yes, skip jack are great shark bait.

Comment

What you want for bait for a shark is ...... Stingray !!!!!
                    10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Originally posted by Flat Bottom
                      I caught a 5 lb er on 91 st pier back in the day, Pier record. never knew what they did with the photo.
                      TDFT Certified Weighmaster

Comment

Originally posted by lurefisher View Post
                        What you want for bait for a shark is ...... Stingray !!!!!

a pup shark is better but its highly illegal and I don't recommend anyone to use that as bait.

Comment

Gilly you can make fun of this fool but he catches big shark consistently - and you don't. Sure he's a wack job. Let's not compare our various sanity when we're trying to kill ourselves offshore or in the mud flats, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by Swells View Post
                            Gilly you can make fun of this fool but he catches big shark consistently - and you don't. Sure he's a wack job. Let's not compare our various sanity when we're trying to kill ourselves offshore or in the mud flats, OK?

I would catch them consistently too if I went to florida to catch them. he's a nothing on the texas coast.

Comment

Working...
                            X