Highland Bayou and Pierce Marsh -- 10/31/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highland Bayou and Pierce Marsh -- 10/31/12

Took off work today and went back out to fish the Highland Bayou and Pierce Marsh area. Made a full day trip and just paddled here and there and relaxed. Mid week fishing trips do not happen too often for me, so I took advantage of it. Weather was great, still cool in the morning and didn't get too hot. Today was catch and release.

Got on the water around 7:00 AM and paddled down the bayou to the railroad bridge. Water had very good visibility and there was a strong outgoing tide. Anchored down and began fan casting the red and white H&H curly tail tipped with a Gulp pogy. First couple of casts I noticed the strong current was pulling the jighead into shell which kept fraying my line. So, I retied and put on a 50 lb mono leader to the 1/4 oz jighead. First cast resulted in a nice 21" flounder which was released.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	21in flounder.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	572958Click image for larger version

Name:	21in flounder release.jpg
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	572959

Kept fan casting around the railroad pilings and caught a few more flounder measuring 15"-17".

Seemed like the bite shutoff at the railroad bridge, so I paddled into Pierce Marsh mid morning. Tide was still going out and the water level was getting very low. As I approached the first couple cuts into the marsh, I saw rafts of nervous finger mullet along the spartina grass in about 6 inches of water. Immediately I saw a flounder launch into the air after some finger mullet. I slowly stood up in the kayak and sight casted to the flounder (10 feet away) which was completely visible on the bottom. Dropped the lure right in front of her head and she slammed it. Turned out to be a 19" flounder with great color and spots.

Name:	19in flounder.jpg
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	572960Click image for larger version

Name:	release.jpg
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	572961

After letting her go, I continued sight casting to smaller flounder which was still a blast. Ended up catching and releasing 5 more flounder.

I also tried a couple cuts in the Jones Bay marsh, near the the railroad tracks. This area turned out to be the most productive, where I caught 10 flounder up to 20". Just kept bouncing the lure in the deepest part of the cut against the current.

Name:	Hungry flounder.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	572962Click image for larger version

Name:	20.25in release.jpg
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	572963

As seen in the photo, the 20" flounder regurgitated a 9 inch mullet when I landed her. I couldn't believe she was still hungry enough to nail my lure.

Overall, a productive day and great way to end October. Looking forward to the colder days of November and December and fishing for giant flounder.

Highland Bayou and Pierce Marsh -- 10/31/12

Great report and photos! Excellent C&R shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great pics and release and i'm all over the big flat girls of November and December.I hope to have some pin up pic's of those babe's.
      I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Sweet.....nice report and great pics.

Comment

Nice going!

Comment

Excellent report and great pics. Go to Flounder Revolution dot com and send in the release pics, you can win a replica of that 21 and a pair of Costa's. Chester has a monthly contest for 21"+ releases to promote conservation.
            Glad you had a good mid-week day off.

Comment

Nice fish man. I would of had to keep at least one for dinner, but good on you.
              KEEP IT WET..

Comment

"Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Great report! Thanks.
                  "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Originally posted by KennyWayne View Post
                    Excellent report and great pics. Go to Flounder Revolution dot com and send in the release pics, you can win a replica of that 21 and a pair of Costa's. Chester has a monthly contest for 21"+ releases to promote conservation.
                    Glad you had a good mid-week day off.
                    Yes, I have been submitting all of my 20+" catch and releases to Chester Moore's Flounder Revolution. I was the 2010 "Angler of the Year" and won quite a few flounder replicas that year. Turns out I won this years September flounder replica and a pair of Costas.

Comment

Originally posted by Weekend Warrior View Post
                      Thanks everyone.

Yes, I have been submitting all of my 20+" catch and releases to Chester Moore's Flounder Revolution. I was the 2010 "Angler of the Year" and won quite a few flounder replicas that year. Turns out I won this years September flounder replica and a pair of Costas.
                      Wow! Congratulations!
                      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Sounds like you had a great day!!

Comment

Awesome post

Comment

Very Nice!
                            "The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword"

Comment

solid flounder
                              Team Rolling Thunder

Comment

Working...
                              X