Galveston Lights- 8/6/12 Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galveston Lights- 8/6/12 Report

Cameron and I hit up the surf in the yaks Monday afternoon. Water was in great shape with the green water creeping in within 50 yds of the beach and the breakers were sandy green. Made it out at found gafftop after gafftop. Ended up around 60+ gafftop on various topwaters and corkies. Towards the end, we started chasing a school of smacks but ended up not hooking up. I also let out some bait for sharks but had no takers. Unfortunately, we came in with empty stringers. We then decided to stay and hit the lights to put some fish on the stringer for a fish fry I was having.

We put in at around 9:20, right when the sun just set, in order to scout the lights since the area was new to us. Turns out fish were already in the lights and cruising around. Unfortunately, the fish were extremely skittish with even the wake of the kayaks spooking them. For a while, we needed a perfect presentation for the fish to even strike, and even then we had a lot of short strikes. At around 12, the bite turned on and we started picking up trout in every light. Cameron picked off a fish in one light, a nice 18 incher, and floated out of the light. I floated on by and saw he hadn't spooked the fish and there was a monster speck that just cruised in the dim outside section of the light...

I used the glow hackberry with an internal rattle and pitched it just right off the edge. I pulled it through the light and put it right in the monster's nose. To me, time just slowed down. I gave the hackberry a quick twitch and the trout darted for the bait and slammed it. FISH ON! Drag started peeling and it pulled me through the light. I was shaking like a leaf as the fish peeled the drag. Then, I found I couldn't see the line and I had no idea which direction the fish was. The fish then made a dive under the kayak... you already knows what happens.

Click image for larger version

Name:	after-limits-of-trout-088.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	572490

Cameron ended his day (morning) with his limit and I was 3 short.
    Resident Ninja

Nice report! Thanks for sharing! Sorry you lost the big one.
    "I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of!"

Comment

Good report, Jhua!

Comment

Nice catch and report!

Comment

Great report and photo. Way to keep after 'em!
          "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Nice!
            sigpic
            Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Yet another fun time watching you lose fish of a lifetime! lol
              Attached Files
              Team Rolling Thunder

Comment

Originally posted by fathernson View Post
                Yet another fun time watching you lose fish of a lifetime! lol
                I hope your equipment fails (ie. rod breaks/ reel breaks) when you hook up on one.
                Resident Ninja

Comment

Not the infamous equiptment malfuntion!!!WTG!
                  West Bay Sensai...

Comment

Dude that driveway looks VERY familiar
                    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
                      Dude that driveway looks VERY familiar
                      You know it!
                      Resident Ninja

Comment

Working...
                      X