Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake Calcasieu 7-30-12

Lake Calcasieu 7-30-12
    Justin and I were all set to get up early Sunday morning and go wade the pass, the boat was all gassed up and ice in the coolers everything was ready then I get a call from a friend of mine wanting to know if Justin and I wanted to go to Lake Calcasieu to hunt for some big trout so we quickly changed are plans.
    We left Pearland around 4:30 AM or so. We stopped to get a one day license at a little gas station along the way; after that and a short boat ride it was on. I must say I have great days on the water before, times where you really get into some nice fish and times when you limit out in a very short time but I have never experienced anything like this trip to Lake Calcasieu. We got to are first stop and started catching fish within the first 20 minutes my first few fish were 22” to 24” my third fish was a little over 25”, As I am stringing my fish I am watching Justin and john do the same with fish around the same size I was truly amazed at the quality of fish John had put us on. The fourth fish I caught I remember really well, it is my new personal best; she came in at 29.5” and 9.5 pounds, a big fat toad!
    That day we probably caught around 80 to 100 trout, we only took around 30 fish home, I think the limit is 15 per person we just didn’t need that many. John released around 12 or 13 trout over 25” and I released around 6 or 7 over 25”, the few we kept over 25” were hooked to bad and would most likely not have made it.
    I have fished with John Havens about 6 or 7 times over the last 2 years, its always been as friends and not as a paying customer with that being said I never really tried to promote his business on this site mainly because he was not a sponsor at the time and I didn’t think it would be right to promote his business over other great guides that help sponsor this site. Well John does help sponsor the site now, so if you are on the hunt for some big assss trout, look him up!
    Attached Files

Nice Jerry.....freaking NICE!!!!!

Comment

pigs!!! wtg fellas
      MANVEL MOB

Comment

Congrats on the big trout. Haven's is a very gifted fisherman, and obviously a good guide. That makes me want to go East fo sure!
        "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

WOW! Real HEFFER Trout!

Comment

Now I envy you in a different way! LOL! way to go Jerry!
            "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Originally posted by The Fisherman View Post
              WOW! Real HEFFER Trout!
              Great catch! I've heard so many good things about that place. Gotta make a trip myself soon.

Comment

Those are some nice fish!

Comment

Awesome fishing! That place is amazing. We fished the jetties and beach front there and limited two days in a row before 10am. Then want and caught triple tails. Cant wait to go back.

Comment

WOW nice fish!! http://www.ccastar.com/current-leaderboard Hope you were entered. I hope I catch one like that one day. Congrats
                    Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Dude, I got to do it sometime.
                      KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Wow wtg

Comment

That's about as good as it gets. Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by corndog View Post
                            WOW nice fish!! http://www.ccastar.com/current-leaderboard Hope you were entered. I hope I catch one like that one day. Congrats
                            That was one of the first things i checked and no i was not entered but i think we are going back in a week or so and i will be entered by then.

Comment

Originally posted by jocues View Post
                              That was one of the first things i checked and no i was not entered but i think we are going back in a week or so and i will be entered by then.
                              Big Lake is a blast. So many fish!
                              Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X