What are these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are these?

Fished a pretty large school of reds this morning that wouldn't take anything but a small spoon fly. So I kept one of them and while cleaning checked his stomach and found it full of these and am curiouse what they are exactly. The small spoon fly I ended up using looked pretty close to these guys. What other flies have ya'll used thst resemble these little fish? Thanks, Chris

Anyway, had a pretty good day with 6 reds out of that large school near the back of green's, seemed like fishing slowed about 8:30am so headed in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	572564

Not sure what they are but I've caught reds that were completely full of them before.
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Arent they lil piggy perch?

Comment

Looks like piggys or mud minnows. Hard to tell on my phone.
        sigpic
        Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

maybe some baby sheep
          "Our most great and glorious achievement is to live our life fishingly"

Comment

Redfish bait
            May your rod never go limp

Comment

They eatem like birds eat bugs!
              West Bay Sensai...

Comment

Menhaden?
                We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Looks like the sheepshead male minnow on this site http://richardkingwildlifephotograph...oragefish.html

Comment

Originally posted by ctkskiff View Post
                    Looks like the sheepshead male minnow on this site http://richardkingwildlifephotograph...oragefish.html
                    Wow, thanks!! I tried to find that all day yesterday. Thanks again.

Sheepshead Minnow
                    SKU: 152655

Comment

Originally posted by ctkskiff View Post
                      Green coming your way good yob on the research.
                      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Here is some additional info on those little buggers.....I did a ton of research on em because the Reds in winter can be stuffed with them.....They are a member of the killifsh family and have very high tolerances to fluctuations in water temperature, salinity and pollutants. Marine biologists use them as a base line to test how various saltwater species react to the three variables above. In winter, they are one of the last food staples for redfish to leave the back marshes because they can handle the temperature drops more so than other baitfish.....when a big front hits and water levels and temperatures drop, they bail out of the marsh for a few days, then head back in until mid January. By then they will leave the marsh completely if the temp stays in the 50s, but will return in late March/early April when the temps start to rise.....and, they are more likely to hang out in the hot bathtub water way back in the skinny stuff....so, knowing this you can figure out where to fish at certain times of the year based on timing fronts and water levels....

Comment

Oh yeah....ctkskiff was dead on ....they are called sheepshead minnows....

Comment

Working...
                          X