mangrove snapper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mangrove snapper

Who's caught em on the texas coast. I caught a little one maybe 12 inches yesterday on shrimp in upper north bay. We had to look it up because we had never seen one up close before. Sure enough... Horrible day fishing with mostly two rat reds and two big stingrays. But that little guy made my day.

I caught several this weekend-if ya get one close to a foot, fillet it-they're good eating.
    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Heck yeah ive caught alot during the summer around the jetties in Freeport in the past

Comment

There is a large amount in Galveston Bay right now .... the 1st freeze will take them out ... but for now they are here ...

No size limit on them, but to make it worth while they need to be in the >12" range .... i catch one almost every weekend when fishing with the kids and live shrimp
        FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

I love targeting them when I go spearfishing.
          We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Used to have a large population at my dock. I thinned them out, but the freeze we had a couple years ago whacked them. I'm catching small ones now and then, but not like a few years ago.
            From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Thats pretty cool. I had never caught one since i started fishing the bay 4 years ago. Pretty neat! I thought you could only find em in florida.

Comment

Good eatin too!
                West Bay Sensai...

Comment

True, they are not very tolerant of the cold. But pound for pound, a great fight and watch those teeth. I wish we was infested with 'em!

Comment

Last 4 trips, all different places we have picked up a couple. Shrimp and gulp rippers, will bite either one, right in half. Lost a whole bag of new copper penny gulp anchored just down current of Bouy #blabla just out of %&*@ Pass, 2 weeks ago. And no, you can't lip one like a crappie but you can filet like one.

Comment

Caught a lot in rockport off the hotel pier.
                      Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

Mangrove snapper are serious good eating. I don't filet them, though - scale, gut, slit the outer skin with a sharp knife & fry 'em whole.
                        Walker

Anegada, BVI (N18° 44.683' W64° 24.133')
                        and
                        Houston (Clear Lake City)

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marx
                          They are there in the spot . I've got a friend that catches them all the time . That and 1/2 lb. piggies .
                          My kid has her "spot" and catches mangroves until she gets tired. That and 1lb piggies

Comment

Go to Freeport and fish the rip rap. Tons of them down there.
                            Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Is this what you are calling a Mangrove Snapper? I knew it was a snapper but not which one. Caught July 21 at Sea Isle.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapper.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	557770

Comment

Working...
                              X