A/C Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C Issue

Having an issue with my A/C the drip pan overflowed and leaked out a vent and along a seam of some sheetrock in the ceiling. Noticed it real quick ran up stairs to attic pan full. I stopped the A/C and checked the overflow drain I guess it's stopped up... Whats the fix here? I can't get an air hose because the unit sits almost on top of the drain / PVC pipe that runs to my sink drain.
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Get a ball valve and add a piece of tubing to it then add an air chuck to the oher side. Snake it under the unit. You can also cut the pvc and add a tee with a long radius.They make them so you can clean the line out. Any good a/c guy would have installed one when they installed it.
    Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Well heres the damage... Been a fun night.

2nd photo is 3rd floor below the attic in the master. Water has dripped down the wall to the 2nd floor. 2nd floor ceiling pictured.

I am baffled how the main drain and backup are both clogged? I can only assume that seeing as I have water stains and all these issues all of the sudden. I turned the AC down to 71 from 6-10 pm problem happened during that time. I've since removed a lot of the water from the pan under the A/C.

Comment

Bottom with Pan and line going out...

Comment

cut that pvc right there above the wood, blow it out and glue a cleanout fitting in place. every once in a while send some bleach down there. that drain line gets slimy gunk built up in it over time. If you can get to where it drains (mine drains outside) -- hook a shop vac up to it and suck that gunk out of there.
          Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ibtsoom View Post
            cut that pvc right there above the wood, blow it out and glue a cleanout fitting in place. every once in a while send some bleach down there. that drain line gets slimy gunk built up in it over time. If you can get to where it drains (mine drains outside) -- hook a shop vac up to it and suck that gunk out of there.
            The hole right where it comes out of ac will clog to had to un screw mine where cunnecks.agree with bleach

Comment

Also add a float switch in the pan to kill ac if it gets full save you many $$$
              May your rod never go limp

Comment

I always use my shop vac to remove the water and algae. Just put the nozzle on the end of the drain line and wrap it with foam or a t-shirt and it will take care of both problems. Pick up some chlorine tabs and toss some into both pans to keep the algae from building up. A float switch will save you from repairs next time.
                "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

It should have had a float switch........ It never was activated apparently or it's not adjusted to the proper height.

Comment

Originally posted by Curmudgeon View Post
                    I always use my shop vac to remove the water and algae. Just put the nozzle on the end of the drain line and wrap it with foam or a t-shirt and it will take care of both problems. Pick up some chlorine tabs and toss some into both pans to keep the algae from building up. A float switch will save you from repairs next time.

x2, I always pour some bleach through both lines at the beginning of the season.
                    At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Suck out the water and crap with a shopvac. Cut your drain lines (have towels stacked and ready) and run shopvac in blow mode and blow out line, then re-connect pvc-of course you need the primer, glue and extra pvc pipe and sleeve/coupling. Try algicide in pan-bleach rusts metal really fast and eventually can rot out the whole pan. You need to do both drains-you may want to always keep some extra pvc and couplings always around. I call this a PITA. Makes ya wonder how dumb the SOB was that installed that unit-I'd say not over a 55 IQ (definitely an Obama voter)- the idjit put the drain openings where ya can't access them to blow em out every year.
                      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Where does your overflow drain go to? Where does main drain go to? many times they are tied to the nearest bathtub drain, so maybe pull cover off bathtub drain (the faceplate) and see if ya can see a clog of crap-try a coat hanger/stiff wire uop the drain-may only go a few inches but may pull out gob of clog???
                        "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Another thing-at the connect at the drain pan, see how rusty that is-the threads-that will be next thing to spring a leak-get some cold galvanized paint and spray the heck outta the nozzle where it meets the pvc.

Comment

I tried using a shop vac on the line to remove the clog. No luck... Not sure what to do now. I removed all the water from the pan with the vac however still going to overflow later... Any tricks?

Comment

From the looks of your rusty drain pan, I would go ahead and have it changed out and have the drain cleared and relocated or have a tee inserted just outside the pan with a short tube and cap where you can pour bleach annually.

It will be cheaper in the long run vs repairing damaged Sheetrock, replacing wet insulation and repainting.

If your drain line ties into a bathroom sink, it might be behind the wall. I had one like that in the Condo above ours and their p-trap plugged thus dumping water onto our freshly painted ceiling.

Hope you get it fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X