Decking Material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decking Material

Where is the best place to get some Trex composite decking material in Galveston? I am planning on removing the wood on the deck at the canal home once we close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you asking where's the easiest place, or the cheapest place, since quality is all the same? Is the decking bad on the house you are buying?
    West End Lumber, Ideal Lumber, McCoy's.

Oh yeah, one more question. Are the deck joists in good shape? No point in putting very expensive material over very old joists.
    "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Decking Material

Thanks for the reply Kenny. I am just starting to look and most places here in Houston is special order only. Since the demand might be higher in Galveston, I am looking for a supplier (if any) who stocks. I stopped at McCoy's yesterday and they said they only order now.

Thanks,
      Tom

Comment

I thought Home Depot had it? I purchased another brand at Lowe's. Like it a lot. Can't remember the name sorry...

Comment

Decking Material

I did see some at Home Depot but all they had was brown. I am looking for gray and probably have to special order.

Thanks again for the replies.

Comment

I worked with this stuff in N.J. helping my brother. First of all, you've got to set the stringers WAY closer than if you're using wood. These things sag BIG TIME. I can't remember exactly, but I think we had set the stringers at 24 inches and we had to come back and install another stringer between them because of the sag. A stringer every 12 inches? Dang, you could have had 2 decks made of wood. He got the brick red color and it is so hot in the Summer time, even up there in the hills, that you don't want to be anywhere near it. On the plus side, he doesn't have to sand and re-seal every other year like he did with the wood. I've also heard of mildew issues.
            From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Check Lowe's, they are grey. The boards are 1" thick and you can't have the stringers farther than 16" apart.

Comment

Decking Material

Thanks guys. Closing coming up around the 16th and the fun will begin!

Comment

Good luck.What I like about composite is that you can bury the screw about 3/32" and then put a hammer to it to flatten it out. It almost complete hides the hole. Before I forget, get your stainless screws on ebay or something. You'll save a lot of money. I would consider getting 316's instead of the 305's since you are on the water.

Comment

Jimmy, this post is almost a year old. I'm sure it's taken care of.
                    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Working...
                    X