Surf Stank but made up for it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf Stank but made up for it...

I wound up trying the surf again on Saturday morning...walked in at 6:15 throwing a top water and not having any blowups at all. In fact, water was rougher than I though it would be. Threw everything for an hour and at 7:15ish I walked out and drove to Sea Isle to get in the boat. Hit a cove that looked like a parking lot with four boats and waders in it but saw where no one was wading or drifting and set up my first drift. Tied on Norton's pumpkin seed bull minnow and immediately starting catching trout. Repeated the same drift two more times and picked up two trout each time that kept and one slot red. Found one more slot red as I was about to head in but pulled a jack a move and tried to horse him...broke the line.

This morning I skipped the surf all together went to the same cove and was there by 6:30 so still dark. Again started with the tops and found zero. I fished for an hour and had NOTHING. Saw very little bait as well. Being the wind was so light the first drift took an hour but finally found the fish by 7:30 at the end of the first drift. Slot red hit the bull minnow and walked me around the boat twice...fun stuff. Motored around cutting the drift distance in half and kept finding the reds. Caught five and kept three...all slot size 21"-26". The trout bite was slow at it's best. They seemed to have a last bite to them...I felt many and set the hook maybe on seven fish but only hooked three and boxed two. Reds kept me going but being Sunday I wanted to get in early so had the boat back in the sling by 9:00.

Lastly...when I made it to the cleaning table I emptied the cooler expecting to see three reds and two specs. I was missing one of the trout. What the hell? Only thing I can figure is that I missed the cooler when I "dropped" the second trout in? Looked all around but couldn't find him. I was perplexed to say the least but had a great day out there. I swear that dang trout is somewhere on my boat right now getting ripe...has to be. In fact, as soon as I submit this thread I'm checking the back of the suburban one more time...
    sigpic

The surf was a little rough this morning but it calmed down but no bites. Nice day

Comment

Great report Brad!
      I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Great report Brad!
        "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Trout freedom
          Captain Glenn Stevens
          Coastal Guide Service
          www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

Re: Surf Stank but made up for it...

Great report u will smell him eventually lmao

Comment

Great report thanks.
              "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Good Job and hope you find that missing fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I was out fishing this certain cove early and this guy in a BTC was also working it. I noticed he threw a trout towards his cooler but it hit the deck and later splashed into the water-as I finished my drift, I saw the stunned trout barely swimming on the surface and netted it and threw it into my cooler-thanks Brad. Just yoking with you. I was at 2 y.o. Birthday party-woo hoo. Wished I was fishing.
                  "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Thanks for the report.
                    Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

Great report, I've been guilty a time or two tossing one past the box.
                      "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" ~ Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Good report! Reminds me a little of when I came home and cleaned all my specs after a productive day on West Bay. I finished and could swear I caught more fish. The next day I was on the patio and smelt a strong fish oder. Come to find out my 5yr old stacked a couple of specks, head to tail, belly out, on my white brick window ledge...... Smell the boat tomorrow....
                        Fishwhisperer

Comment

Working...
                        X