Help-Looking for a Teacher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help-Looking for a Teacher

Guys, I will be in Terramar all of next week and was looking to hook up and gig with someone. I have a 17ft aluminum flatbottom center console and would like to try gigging but have never done it. I keep talking about it but my bil and dad always peel out on me. I have a gig and made a light from fish lights etc but think i will have to use another light source as the one i have doesnt exactly work like described online. I was actually thinking about the one at Academy. So if you have any input please let me know. I am an ag teacher and am finally off for summer. 10 months of teaching kids to weld can be exhausting so it should be a good little vacation.

Guys i am looking for advice, guidance, dos and donts. I will be more than happy to haul you around if you show me the ropes. I have ray guards as i was advised to wear them but am open for any other suggestions.
    Thanks

Hook up with 2112 or shortystillsurfs they da kings
    MANVEL MOB

Comment

I have never done that type of fishing either. I will be following the process and your progess on this thread. Good luck.

Comment

Do some scouting during the day and find some walkable areas close by. At night everything is different. The Academy light works but you have to carry a 12V battery with you in a backpack or other method. I definately dont recommend you go alone till you learn some. Wear a cap LED headlight just in case you lose your light for some reason. Dont forget your stringer. Coleman lanterns with a shield work as well. You need to find some areas with less than 1' of water with good clarity or your wasting your time. Good Luck Be Safe!!

Comment

I will add that hard sand bottom is much easier to walk. When I am fishing during the day, I notice spots like this and make a mental note of them to gig later. Bigger shallow flats have more room, but you can get nice fish walking a grassline too.

Headlamp for sure, even if the 12v light works, it is awkward to use for work.

Bug spray, and a spare bug spray.

Ray guards are not too big of a deal. You should be in water where you can see the bottom, or you are not gigging effectively.

Look for calmer nights.

Comment

Best not to wade in water u can't see bottom at night, lots of sting rays out there.

Comment

We went out as rookies on Sat night on south shore near where you are staying. Used those lights from Academy,mworked ok. Dad's held the lights why the boys carried the gigs. I used the pouch on my wading belt (minus tackle box) to carry the battery, drug my donut for the fish. Takes some practice and patience, And a little nerve. By the way, we didn't do squat. Hard sand bottom with ripple marks, think I needed a tad more mud/silt? We are looking for tips as well. Would go up to North shore, but Obama dumped two feet of mud on my favorite holes!

Comment

Keep at it you have the right idea. Move around and try to get a pattern. The next night they could be every 10'. Never know unless you go. If you walk in where anybody can your odds go down.

Comment

And dont gig your toe!
                  West Bay Sensai...

Comment

Robalo went gigging once. Next he showed up at the ER at 3am with three holes thru his foot.
                    As the ER Doc was patching his wounds up, he asked Robalo what had caused the holes in his foot.
                    "Well Doc I was out flounder gigging and thought I saw a flounder so I stabbed it. Turned out it was my foot."
                    Understandable the Doc replied. Sometimes the water gets real muddy. Makes it hard to see.
                    But what's with the third hole? Don't you know three prong gigs are illegal for floundering?
                    Robalo, "Oh I know Doc. I'm legal. I only use a two prong gig."
                    Doc, "so the thrid hole is........"
                    Robalo, "I had to put it on the stringer."
                    West End Anglers - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Comment

Guys thanks for the input on gigging and the positive compliments on being a teacher. To answer some boat questions i do have a trolling motor up front and yall already know the boat gets relatively shallow. I have been thinking about running lights off of it but really havent taken the time or steps to do it. Which is why i was looking at getting skinny and then walking it, just didnt want to have to go by myself.

Comment

The pass has a lot of people but also a lot of flounder. You can gig down there for sure. Just go out during the day to see where you want to walk in, and park. Don't go alone don't go deep.

Comment

Key factor when you find good water and clarity, make sure you flounder with a moving tide and the biggest factor, the water must have bait around. Good luck and hope you do well.

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post

Bug spray, and a spare bug spray.

Look for calmer nights.
                            What he said.
                            "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" ~ Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Working...
                            X