Had some spare time today so...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had some spare time today so...

I have some downtime while I am awaiting the delivery of my gear case seal kit, so I pulled out the dirt bike. Last time I cleaned the carb, it took me about 4 hours. I took it off and cleaned and reinstalled it in about 30 minutes this time. Anyways, I got it to run good once after fooling with the choke etc. I had it running good for about 15 seconds then I shut it off to adjust the idle. After doing that, I could only get it to start for about a second and then die. I played with the idle screw and put it in every possible tension level and still couldn't get it started. Any of y'all have suggestions? Atleast there is hope this time...
    Tight Lines

Maybe you moved some trash that you missed while you had it apart! That could cause your problem,maybe starving for gas!Or float stuck closed!
    West Bay Sensai...

Comment

I was also thinking that it wasn't getting too much gas.
      Tight Lines

Comment

It shouldnt be too hard to fix your on track!
        West Bay Sensai...

Comment

Comment

Think I should pull the carb apart again?
            Tight Lines

Comment

Pull it apart and check the float needle valve. I had a generator last week do that to me and it took a carb kit to fix. The ethanol ate up the rubber on the end of the needle and it was sticking closed.
              Beandaddy

Comment

Fresh gas or old gas?

Comment

Fairly old gas, all I had.
                  Tight Lines

Comment

Pulled it apart again. The float needle rubber seemed to look good. There was gas in the bowl, but the float wasn't wet. The spark plug wasn't wet either, any suggestions?
                    Tight Lines

Comment

Clean out all of the jets.

Comment

Originally posted by Beandaddy View Post
                        Clean out all of the jets.
                        Yeah I cleaned and checked all of those.
                        Tight Lines

Comment

Success! I cleaned the carb again and threw it together. It started right up. I had to pinch the fuel line while it was running to open up a kink in the line to keep it going. I ran it for a good 20 minutes holding it wide open to get nice and hot and burn off all of that old ethcrapanol gas. When it runs, it pops and surges at the top end, is this caused by old gas with crap in it? Tomorrow I am going to get a longer fuel line, fresh gas, and replace the oil in it to get it in good shape again. Seem like a good plan? Thanks
                          Tight Lines

Comment

Another problem is it will not stay running for more than a couple of minutes, because the fuel line is not feeding fuel to the carb too well. Is this due to the lack of pressure from only having a little bit of gas in the tank? Thanks
                            Tight Lines

Comment

Working...
                            X