Kingfish haters.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kingfish haters.......

Better eating than I thought or heard...........

I had them before and they were oily tasting, which I don't prefer, but we must have done something right tonight. I caught 2 kings last week and decided we were going to make fish balls and fish cakes. I have never cooked king fish, but certainly heard horror stories about the meat. They came out great and were a hit with the family.

Soaked fillets in milk for an hour (or less). Only because this was a last minute decision, otherwise, I would have soaked them for a couple of hours at least.

For fried balls: Cube meat, coat them with mustard/mayonnaise and roll in fish fry. Then fry them up. Pretty good.

For fish cakes: I used the recipe a 2cooler provided. Place fish in pan and cook without oil or water, essentially like you are browning hamburger. The grey meat will turn white and should be a little mushy. Wife and I tried a piece and I never thought fish would taste as close to chicken as it did....funny. There was no fish taste. Anyway, add some dried potato (used to make mash potatoes) and a little water so that it's not too dry. I would say I added 3 tablespoons to about 4 lbs of fish. Cook for a couple of minutes, then add Bisquick. Same procedure as for the potato add. Add your spice or vegetables that you like. We didn't have any onions or jalapeno so I used onion/garlic powered and some seasoned salt. Then you make a patty out of them, roll them in your favorite fish fry or cracker and fry. We tried different combos and my favorite was a healthy sprinkle of Tony C's Creole Seasoning mixed into the patty, coated patty in egg, then rolled in Tony Z mild Fish Fry. They were as good as most crab cakes I had. All I could think of was how good would this be if I made patties with Snapper that I caught....lol. Then I thought, "no way!" We are eating snapper grilled.

I guess most of the success could be attributed to two things: 1) fresh meat and 2) absolutely no red meat in it.

Be brave, try it. I guarantee that serving these as a party tray at a party would be a hit.

They aint bad when fresh-they turn to mush after being frozen. I grill em wrapped in bacon, some teriyaki and garlic.
    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

One of my favorite fish
      MANVEL MOB

Comment

We make kingfish balls and soak them in buttermilk then with or without the mustard then into a cornmeal flour mix.

MMM......Good.
        "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" ~ Henry David Thoreau

Comment

never freeze it.like robalo said, it turns to mush.
          the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Spanish mackerel for eating, king mackerel for fighting. Neither freezes worth a darn.

But the king is OK in the smaller sizes if you bleed them good. The smaller ones have less red meat, less poisons.

One trick with Spanish and maybe king is to never soak them in cooler water, as that makes them mushy too.

Smoked, fried, baked, sushi, BBQ, Cajun fish balls, it's all good.

Comment

Originally posted by dbarham View Post
              One of my favorite fish
              X2
              KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Any fish that you have to soak in mustard, soy sauce, margarita mix, milk, beer, italian dressing etc.. -- chop up -- mix with bread crumbs, mayo, curry, chili powder and every other spice in the cabinet etc.. to make it palatable, is not for me. I'd rather just drink the beer and eat the bread crumbs at that point..
                Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

You can freeze king just dont put water in the bag... Water makes it mush. I just put it in a vacuum bag use my little machine then freeze it with no water.
                  Karma's a beach.

Comment

You can put lipsick on a pig but its still a pig. Just saying!! LOL If your gonna eat kings eat em fresh is my only two cents and little lipstick makes em easier to kiss!!
                    Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

I once had a dog that did not like eggplant. That all changed after three weeks of nothing but eggplant being thrown out the back door.
                      Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Man i'm craving fried eggplant now!damm you Ray!This deer pan sasauge mix sgatti is da bomb.......chased with Taaka and OJ
                        I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

I smoked some kingfish meat and wife made smoked fish dip. It was the hit of the party.

Comment

Caught some Spanish mackerel yesterday on the first trip out in my own boat. Great day! Is there any difference in taste between kings and Spanish? Great to have these recipes. Also caught 4 lings and a 4 foot lemon shark. I'm hooked.

Comment

Kingfish is one of my favorites ! Cut out the bloodline and throw it on the grill with butter and tonys mmm, you can freeze it just no water and leave the skin on until your ready to cook

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk 2
                              I dont always drink beer, but when i do , I prefer to be fishing !!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X