Navigating San Luis into West Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navigating San Luis into West Bay

Maybe a dumb question....Any suggestions on navigating between area by boat launch at San Luis over into West Bay. Never been on the water there, just see lots of sand bars visible at low tide. I know there are channels, so I'm guessing you just go by prior trips, look closely at water color/depth, look for current trails and stay away from heavy rippling currents. I'm guessing that these channels change over time fairly regularly. I have a shallow running boat, but I don't want to beach or swamp it in that area.

I would look at Google earth before and get a general idea how the sandbars are laid out. I marked it this summer in my boat. From the boat ramp take it slow and follow the channel around the huge sandbar, after you pass bird island a ways there are pvc poles marking the channel into the bay. Follow them close because it gets shallow fast on both ends.

Comment

Originally posted by TTU Wader View Post
      I would look at Google earth before and get a general idea how the sandbars are laid out. I marked it this summer in my boat. From the boat ramp take it slow and follow the channel around the huge sandbar, after you pass bird island a ways there are pvc poles marking the channel into the bay. Follow them close because it gets shallow fast on both ends.

Yep ! That's it !
      10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Originally posted by TTU Wader View Post
        Coming from the Pass area towards West bay, keep those poles TTU put out on your RIGHT. Going from say Sea Isle to SLP, the poles are on your LEFT. Best bet is to follow someone and stay at least 100 yards behind them (they may not know where they're going!) so you don't mess up or run into them if they miss a turn or pole!!!!!
        "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

I would get flatoutfishin to give you his track off his gps.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilbert View Post
            I would get flatoutfishin to give you his track off his gps.
            I knew that was coming!! OUCH
            MANVEL MOB

Comment

Here's a track off my GPS if that helps any.

Attached Files
              A Little deeper in debt.

Comment

Re: Navigating San Luis into West Bay

I hope by all this I can navigate that today! Cause that is my goal.
                Sent from my MOTOROLA car phone using rotary dial.

Comment

Thanks much. I was looking on Google Earth and figured that channel by Bird Island was pretty consistent, but wasn't sure about when it starts fingering on the bay side. Appreciate the comment on the PVC poles. At the end of the day, I guess it's acting more like the tortoise than the hare until you know your way.

Comment

X is where the fish are at. lol.

Comment

Now that you've got a little info, why don't you introduce yourself on the Welcome board.
                      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Originally posted by JbVenable
                        My route looked more like this. The X marks where to not park your boat. Apparently this area sometimes has a slight current. Following the blue marks will get you out just as good as the red line. It just requires pulling up your motor and dragging your boat around for a bit. Id also advise tying your dog down in the boat or she may jump out in the shallow areas and try not to come back. If you are short on time MAYBE his route is better but my route is the only one I know.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22917[/ATTACH]
                        That's incredible! I'm entering the coordinates into my GPS right now!
                        "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Williep map is the best way to get thru that area. If you want to learn that area, go down there when it's calm and sunny. You'll be able to see all the guts and bars. Just go slow until you lay some tracks down. I'm sure everyone has run aground on a sandbar, I know I have.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_A View Post
                            I'm sure everyone has run aground on a sandbar, I know I have.

Nope...NEVER!
                            Don't be a Nancy!
                            If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

just run through bastrop or hug the shoreline around mud cut and you will be fine, or you won't. Dont listen to me.... tooooo much vodka tonight
                              KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Working...
                              X